Federal tax season has arrived! File your taxes with Clemta. Check our "Pricing" page to get a special quote!
Losing EIN Confirmation Letter

Losing EIN Confirmation Letter

05.12.2020 15:40 by Clemta

If you happen to lose your EIN confirmation letter, you can get an EIN verification letter. To get an EIN verification letter, you should contact the IRS support, identify yourself and your company and request for a 147c Letter.

EIN confirmation letter is typically a tax ID certificate. The Internal Revenue Service will mail you a confirmation letter within 8 to 10 weeks after approval of your EIN application. This confirmation letter is known as Form CP 575 and is mailed to the address mentioned in your Form SS-4 application.

If you need a replacement for a missing or never-received EIN confirmation letter, you can get an EIN verification letter from IRS. This verification letter serves the purpose of the confirmation letter you received from the IRS.

Follow the below process to obtain EIN verification letter from the IRS:

  1. Contact the IRS support;
    • If you are not in the U.S. call (267) 941-1099.
    • If you are in the U.S. call 800-829-4933. The Business & Specialty Tax Line is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.
  2. Provide the name of your business and other verification details.
  3. Request for a 147c Letter. Requesting a letter is free.
    • If your contact information is the same as what you provided when applying for the EIN, IRS will either mail it to you or fax it to you.
    • If your contact information has changed, you can receive the verification letter only after you file Form 8822 to update the IRS.

As verification details, you will be asked some security questions about your business. Potential questions are:

  • Your EIN number,
  • Your business address as it appears in IRS records,
  • The type of form that your business uses for filing taxes,
  • Your name and position in the company.