EIN Letter From IRS: Everything You Need to Know

If you lose your EIN confirmation letter, how to get an EIN verification letter from the IRS is clarified.
Happy excited redhead woman reading paper letter with notification about last mortgage payment

EIN Letter From IRS: Everything You Need to Know

Table of Contents

Federal tax deadline 15th of April is around the corner and the tax ID of your business, Employer Identification Number, is required for federal tax filings! However, what If you have lost or misplaced the EIN? Many business owners lose or misplace their EIN and reach out to the IRS nowadays. So, reaching out to IRS for EIN letter might be very difficult due to huge volume of calls.

If you’ve forgotten or misplaced your EIN, there are a couple options available to you. Let’s start with what’s EIN and why do you need one at the first place. If you already have one, you may scroll down below for the information regarding lost EINs.

Why do you need an EIN?

The Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a unique nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification.

EIN allows the IRS to identify taxpayers and keep track of your company’s tax reporting. It is important to note that banks require an EIN to open business bank accounts. Once your business has been legally registered, you can apply for an EIN. If you are not a US citizen and located outside of the US, but conducting business in the US, such as running an e-commerce business, you need to take a few steps to get your EIN.  You may need the EIN letter from IRS on various occasions to confirm your tax ID of business to your bankers, financers, and vendors.

How Can You Apply for an EIN?

IRS allows few methods to obtain an EIN for non-residents. These methods are; online application, application with mail, fax or even application via phone is an option for international applicants. Please check our blog about how to get EIN for more information.

Clemta will be pleased assist you if you have never gotten an EIN number or got declined by the IRS.  Your EIN number is valid for the life of your business and allows you to create a bank account in the United States, apply for loans, hire staff, and more.

Clients having a US Social Security Number (SSN) can get an EIN number in the same day, while clients without a Social Security Number can get one within in 30 days at most with Clemta. The approximate timeline for the EIN to issue by the IRS is 15 days. For more information about obtaining an EIN number for your company, please e-mail [email protected]

How to get an EIN number as a non-US resident foreigner with Clemta:

  1. Login or sign up to Clemta.com
  2. Choose the selection “I have a company”
  3. Scroll down and choose the EIN Application service!

If you don’t have a company, you can simply signup with Clemta, incorporate your business in the United States! Your Employer Identification Number will be included in both packages with your incorporation request.

What are EIN Letters?

1. EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575)

The IRS issues this letter in Form CP 575 within eight to 10 weeks of assigning you an Employer Identification Number (EIN). The IRS only issues the EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575) one time. You can’t get this letter again. Here is what a CP 575 Confirmation Letter looks like:

 2. EIN Verification Letter (147C)

If you lose or misplace the CP 575 confirmation letter, you can request the IRS for a verification letter, which would for all purposes, substitute the original letter or certificate which is called 147C. Here is what a 147C Verification Letter looks like:

EIN confirmation letter is typically a tax ID certificate. The Internal Revenue Service will mail you a confirmation letter within 8 to 10 weeks after approval of your EIN application. This confirmation letter is known as Form CP 575 and is mailed to the address mentioned in your Form SS-4 application.

It is not uncommon for business owners to misplace their EIN number. If you forgot or lost your EIN, we recommend a few helpful ways that can help you to avoid long waits.

7 Ways to Find Your EIN

You can locate a lost EIN by the following:

  1. Check your e-mail and fax box. You may have an automated response from the IRS in your email or fax box from when you initially obtained it.
  2. Check IRS notifications, notification from IRS will include the EIN most likely.
  3. Check your tax forms. Any previously filed tax return will also contain your EIN.
  4. Contact your bank for your EIN If you used your EIN to open a business bank account. If you opened a bank account for the business, the bank will keep your EIN on file. The EIN is often the first thing the bank will ask you for when opening a business account.
  5. If you used your EIN with an agency or authority to obtain any business license or permit you can also contact them.
  6. Request a credit report. All credit reports for your business should include EIN.
  7. Contact the IRS. Detailed information is below.

  How to Contact the IRS for EIN Verification Letter?

Follow the below process to obtain EIN verification letter from the IRS:

  1. Contact the IRS support;
    • If you are not in the U.S. call (267) 941-1099.
    • If you are in the U.S. call 800-829-4933. The Business & Specialty Tax Line is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.
  2. Provide the name of your business and other verification details.
  3. Request for a 147c Letter. Requesting a letter is free. 
    • If your contact information is the same as what you provided when applying for the EIN, IRS will either mail it to you or fax it to you.
    • If your contact information has changed, you can receive the verification letter only after you file Form 8822 to update the IRS.

As verification details, you will be asked some security questions about your business. An IRS representative will ask you some qualifying questions to confirm business ownership or to verify that you’re authorized to be provided with the EIN. Potential questions are:

  • Your EIN number,
  • Your business address as it appears in IRS records,
  • The type of form that your business uses for filing taxes,
  • Your name and position in the company.

Lost EIN? Contact the Professionals!

Have you tried out all the but still not able to get your EIN? Clemta will assist you in retrieving your Employer identification number within the shortest time possible.

You may fill out the form below to get the EIN Verification Letter. We will be asking a couple of questions for the identification of your business. Then Clemta agents will reach out to you shortly!

Click here to request an EIN verification letter!

If you have any questions, you may reach out to our agents from [email protected].

Explore more
tax day concept with red circle on calendar date and tax return on table
Postpone Tax Deadline: File an Extension

The United States federal tax deadline is very soon, the due date is April 15!  Since there are only a couple of days left, you may consider filing an extension if you have not filed your taxes yet. 

Read More »